Wednesday 20 August 2014

Last night, I begged for an answer to this new Kumiko (war world #3) conundrum

so, for the last few days, I've been rubbing my raw nose bone against the wailing wall of writer's block.

Well, not exactly writer's block, I've been having little ideas and contributing peripherally to the content of what the KUMIKO book might become. But not really getting on with the writing of the story and exploration of the characters and their motivation in this (hopefully) final War World novel.

So, last night, I gave my Dreaming Self an ultimatum, "Please give me an answer to this new Kumiko narrative direction I've given myself."

I'm not regretting restarting the book. There's NO WAY that old version could have got to the point it needs to get to in the series if I'd have carried on. It needed to be restarted. And I have the story-in-flux version of where this story needs to go. I have details. But I don't really have the story I can type into the document.

Last night, I demanded or begged to my pre-sleep self for some sort of resolution on this novel's new direction. I didn't get it. I didn't get the dream or series of dreams that I could write down verbatim and turn into solid story structure, as I have done at the start of other novels I've written.

However, today, I've been 'seeing' massive scenes that have been missing from the book thus far. I'm walking around. I'm doing different things. I'm shopping. I've been having to dash back to the keyboard from wherever I find myself and type in these vast scenes. And they fit. They're adding to and making sense of where I need this story to go. It's a first for me. I'm seeing a book taking place. A waking dream is taking place, and I'm just typing while the visions last. It's a very strange process but it's a timely arrival of real content, real character, real narrative.

Current total 20,000 words and powering on.


DAY LATER UPDATE: this gets even funnier (weirder) this morning, for the five or ten minutes that it took me to wake up before 0655 hours, I had a lovely dream that added to the Kumiko space-opera surrealist-mystery novel. It's like 'my dreaming mind' was reading yesterday's post about The Waking Dream, got jealous, and decided to pester me with its own brand of visual creativity before I de-bed'd. Thanks Dreaming Mind, that was some crackin' content. Can you do any better Conscious Mind? This could be a fun few days...

Let the WAR TO FINISH THIS WAR WORLD NOVEL resume. LOL

2 comments:

  1. G'day Mike

    You've entered the realm of the world's 'best-selling' authors' . . . 'biggest secret'.
    I have/had always wondered how (some of) these guys produce book after book of best-sellers, each year, and finally realized, for a while now, what you have just experienced.
    Good on yah, mate!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, cheers Bob.

    I wonder..... :)

    ReplyDelete